Day 8: Proverbs 8: 10-11
Take my instruction instead of silver,
and knowledge rather than choice gold,
for wisdom is better than jewels,
and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.
- Wisdom is a choice.
- Being instructed/teachable, humbles us, giving us the ability to receive wisdom.
- Absolutely nothing of earthly value compares to the benefits of choosing wisdom.
- Wisdom is precious, a substance of great value not to be wasted or treated carelessly.
- Loving wisdom brings a rich inheritance and full treasuries. (v 20-22)
- Blessed are those who seek wisdom daily. (v 34)
- With wisdom we find LIFE and receive favor from the Lord.
- Verse 11 is similarly stated in Psalm 73:25 and in Proverbs 3:15.
Choices! Its easy to think of wisdom as some magical mystical thing that “some” receive. Like a pair of ruby slippers to click, or a gold ring to rule them all, or even a lamp to rub. Proverbs 8 is teaching us that we must personally choose wisdom, it doesn’t choose us. But it’s also about choosing the right thing. It’s not about seeking an item. God gave King Solomon the choice for anything his heart desired. What would you choose? Money? Fame? Education?
Solomon CHOSE wisdom. He humbled himself, knowing as a young man, he would need help to rule God’s people. Not only did God give him wisdom, but He gave him riches and honor as well. We need wisdom more than a 401K, luxury car, or latest Apple item. Those things alone are not bad but they will not compare to the fulfillment of seeking wisdom.
Jesus tells us in Matt 6:33 “To seek first his kingdom, his righteousness and ALL these things will be given to you as well.” We are not all promised fancy cars, big houses and big bank accounts, but when we choose to truly seek the Wisdom of God, He promises that we will receive “treasures” beyond our imaginations. Treasure of knowledge, peace, understanding, love, mercy, and so much more. To be able to be in a hard circumstances and be able to respond in the fullness of His wisdom and His Glory. Wow! Choose Wisdom!
Lord, I humble myself and confess that I often seek wrong treasures rather than seeking You and Your wisdom. But help me through the Holy Spirit to CHOOSE You and Your wisdom, so that I would bring Honor and Glory to You. Amen
- Amber Gallaway